[Hawkular-dev] Merging of own pull-requests ( please don't )

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Thu Jun 16 04:52:36 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I want to remind everyone (including myself :-) that one should not merge
> ones own pull-requests (and also abstain from directly committing to
> master).
>
> There are many reasons why this is good practice
>
> - peer review finds issues
> - peer review allows discussions on the concrete implementation of
>   a bugfix/feature request

If you are the one who open a PR, please be reactive on the
comments/questions that may be asked so that you don't become the
bottleneck yourself. (and if you are busy, please send a quick note on when
one can expect an answer, that's less stressful than no answer)

If there is no reviewer please chase one, raise to
#hawkular/hawkular-dev/Heiko/Alissa if you found noone.

> - other findings can be addressed in the same pull-request and do
>   not need a subsequent one.
> - It gives oneself some time to reflect what was done.
> - It gives time to also add this one little file that was not git-add'ed
>
> I totally understand that we are in some areas rather thin on developers
> (Juca's work on hawkular-services and accounts come to mind) and that
> there are always situations where a direct commit or self-merged PR is
> needed. But it should not be the default.
>
> I do not want us to get to a structure where only a handful of managers
> have push rights to force this above mentioned peer review.

Managers with push rights !??! that would be horrible !

THomas