[Hawkular-dev] Agent - EAP Domain mode support

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Tue May 3 05:18:49 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 7:32 PM, John Mazzitelli <mazz at redhat.com> wrote:

> > The question is likely for Mazz, but I wanted to check how we will
> support the WF domain mode.
> >
> > As far as I understand, we are now able to run the agent in the host
> > controller but wanted to know a bit more on how we expect the setup to be
> > (one agent on the host controller for the whole domain ?)
>
> <TL;DR>
> I can run an agent in a host controller, but my main question is: What
> special functionality are these agents supposed to provide by having them
> run in the DC or HC (as opposed to running in all the standalone servers?)
> </TL;DR>
>

> Right now, I have the agent at least able to run in a host controller.
> Each machine where you run your app servers has one host controller on
> them. Additionally, somewhere in your network, there is a single host
> controller that is configured to run as the domain controller (i.e. a
> "domain controller" is just a specially configured host controller - there
> is only one DC per domain).
>
> We can run the agent today in a host controller (note: I have no agent
> configuration that tells the agent how to monitor that HC itself - there
> are not the same subsystems running in a HC than what you see running in a
> standalone WildFly server).
>
> Do we want to run the agent only in the domain controller? Or do we want
> to run one agent in each host controller? I suspect we want to do the
> latter, not the former, simply because it seems to follow the typical way
> agents are run (one per machine). However, I'm still not clear what it is
> people want these agents running in a DC or HC to do. What special
> functionality are these agents supposed to provide by having them run in
> the DC or HC (as opposed to running in all the standalone servers?)

We need to be able to "visualize" server groups and domains --> that
topology needs to fill in the inventory
We'll want to be able to execute operations on a domain or server group,
like deploy an application (without re-implementing the logic for failed
deployment on 1 or more servers for instance)

If the domain/host controller collects all metrics for all servers or if
each server reports itself is more of an implementation detail. Also I
understand that have all data going through the domain controller would
create a bottleneck, one per host seems more suitable on first thoughts.

Thomas