[hibernate-dev] 6.0 planning

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 31 07:57:34 EDT 2016

We have been having a few side discussions about plans for 6.0, and I
thought it would be a good idea to consolidate them together.

   1. Incorporate the SQM work.  Lots of pieces go into this:
      1. Replacing the interpretation of HQL/JPQL and Criteria queries.
      2. *Possibly* leveraging SQM to deal with entity operations
      (load-by-id, merge, etc).
      3. Improved Query contracts
      4. Improved persister contracts (including addition of an "embeddable
      persister").
      5. Improved Type contracts
   2. Extensions to JPA criteria based on SQM work(this is probably more on
   ongoing 6.x task)
   3. Baseline on Java 8

Is there anything else anyone wants to discuss getting included?

Another one I'd like to discuss is the consolidation of the hibernate-core
and hibernate-entitymanager modules into a single module (possibly renamed
hibernate-orm).  There are a lot of reasons and benefits to doing this:

   1. A major one would be the consolidation of "type systems".  Hibernate
   has org.hibernate.type.Type.  JPA defines javax.persistence.Type.  Now with
   SQM we have a 3rd type system in play.
   2. It is also the major hurdle to moving to being able to fully replace
   the legacy criteria with JPA criteria.  If Session and EntityManager (as
   well as SessionFactory ad EntiytManagerFactory) were fully integrated then
   Session would be able to build/handle JPA criteria queries.
   3. Simplified HEM bootstrapping

There are also a few challenges to doing this consolidation of the
hibernate-core and hibernate-entitymanager modules.  The big one tht stick
out in my head is event-listener with different behaviors between core and
hem.