[infinispan-dev] A better fix for Immutables

Galder Zamarreno galder.zamarreno at redhat.com
Mon Sep 7 04:35:52 EDT 2009

Hi Jeff,

On 09/05/2009 09:38 AM, Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
> Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I was thinking of suggesting the use of
> Google Collections, too: http://code.google.com/p/google-collections/
> They provide a host of Immutable collections and many other handy classes.
> Specifically, I thought BiMap could replace BidirectionalMap (I've been
> working on implementing this, actually).

Why would you replace it BiMap for BidirectionalMap? Peformance? Any
particular bug?

We already have Immutable class implementations. Are Google ones any
better? If so, why are they better? What do they bring new?

> The Google Collections are very
> well tested (and widely deployed), vetted by Josh Bloch, and may potentially
> make it into the JDK in time.
> Great interview with the creators here:
> http://www.javalobby.org/articles/google-collections/

Thanks for the heads up but we're a bit wary of bringing in third party
dependencies unless there's a very good reason to do so, specially to
the core/ module.

So, if you wanna pitch third party library additions, please indicate
clearer and more concise reasons to bring them in and we'll evaluate them.

Cheers,

> -jeff
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Krzysztof Sobolewski<
> Krzysztof.Sobolewski at atm.com.pl>  wrote:
>
>> I noticed that there was a problem with generics in Immutables class. May I
>> suggest a better approach? (patch attached) :)
>>
>> [AFAICS the same thing is needed for analogous code in JBoss Cache, BTW]
>> -KS

Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache