[infinispan-dev] Setting JGroups channel name

Mircea Markus mircea.markus at jboss.com
Thu Sep 10 13:41:18 EDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> On 09-09-10 10:57 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:
>> infinispan creates one channel only for all cache caches associated
>> a CacheManager.
>> it would be nice to be able pass it a name through channel.setName,
>> for debugging reasons only.
>>
> I see. So two CacheManagers might use two different configuration
> files
> where transport names are different but they usually use the same
> configuration files, don't they?
Good point. What we can do is use a placeholder ${nodeName:default}
and if one specifies it through -DnodeName will be taken into account.
It's much easier going through logs and looking for nodes named:
"aaaa", "bbb" and "ccc" rather than host:port1, host2:port2 etc.
Actually we even have a script that does that, so that we can debug
logs more easily :)
> So what's the point of the name in that
> case?
>
> I mentioned generating next in sequence name as a way to differentiate
> each channel instance that belongs to the same cluster. Each channel
> would have a unique name (A, B, C...)
>
> I admit - I am confused!
lol!