[infinispan-dev] Evaluating Infinispan

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Wed Sep 30 10:07:39 EDT 2009

On 30 Sep 2009, at 15:00, Krzysztof Sobolewski wrote:

> Dnia piątek 25 wrzesień 2009 o 15:18:45 Manik Surtani napisał(a):
>
>>> Yeah, it's a kind of love-hate relationship. I personally prefer to
>>> have them
>>> everywhere (and sometimes come up with really bizarre contraptions).
>>> At least
>>> one prominent book writer thought once I was an expert on the
>>> topic ;)
>>
>> I used to have them everywhere in JBC and IMO it made the internal
>> code very inflexible as everything needed to be parameterized in very
>> unnecessary ways.
>
> It's more of a chore than inflexibility, because the types must
> match anyway,
> generics or not. But the declarations spread like a wildfire. Give
> me [more]
> type inference and type aliases and I'm almost happy :)

Yeah JDK7 is making some progress there with type inferences for
parameters, but that's just a half-hearted effort IMO.

> Or maybe it's better
> to switch to Scala.

Watch this space.  ;)  (And the server/rest module in Infinispan
trunk, for example)

>>> I actually read about it on your blog and assumed that it's a public
>>> API :) I
>>> thought I could use it to solve some problems relating to lack of
>>> tree
>>> structure (or, more specifically, lack of getChildrenNames()).
>>
>> In future it is something we may make public.  But needs some more
>> thought before it is made public, as you can imagine.  :)
>
> I can see you changed some things already (and the TreeCache.getCache
> ()
> thing). Unfortunately currently I have some other things to do than
> porting to
> Infinispan, but I'll get back to it some day :)

Yes, this has changed in trunk, along with the bugs reported around
the Tree API.  These will make it in another beta very soon.

Cheers
manik at jboss.org
Lead, Infinispan
Lead, JBoss Cache