[infinispan-dev] Evaluating Infinispan

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 17:56:21 EDT 2009

FYI scala still suffers somewhat with type erasure (it sacrifices some
things for the sake of excellent java interop at source and library
level), but otherwise, its generics done (almost) correctly ;)

(I think I have only been bitten once by type erasure in scala from
memory, and it was a warning so I knew about it ahead of time).

2009/10/1 Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org>:

>>> I used to have them everywhere in JBC and IMO it made the internal
>>> code very inflexible as everything needed to be parameterized in very
>>> unnecessary ways.
>>
>> It's more of a chore than inflexibility, because the types must
>> match anyway,
>> generics or not. But the declarations spread like a wildfire. Give
>> me [more]
>> type inference and type aliases and I'm almost happy :)
>
> Yeah JDK7 is making some progress there with type inferences for
> parameters, but that's just a half-hearted effort IMO.
>
>> Or maybe it's better
>> to switch to Scala.
>
> Watch this space.  ;)  (And the server/rest module in Infinispan
> trunk, for example)

>>> In future it is something we may make public.  But needs some more
>>> thought before it is made public, as you can imagine.  :)
>>
>> I can see you changed some things already (and the TreeCache.getCache
>> ()
>> thing). Unfortunately currently I have some other things to do than
>> porting to
>> Infinispan, but I'll get back to it some day :)
>
> Yes, this has changed in trunk, along with the bugs reported around
> the Tree API.  These will make it in another beta very soon.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Manik Surtani
> manik at jboss.org