[infinispan-dev] HDFS FileStore

Gustavo Fernandes gustavo at infinispan.org
Mon May 16 06:51:12 EDT 2016

Hi, answers inline:

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Cristian Malinescu <
cristian.malinescu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gustavo - thanks for the guidance!
> Have some questions -
> 1. ISPN-2940 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2940> - says the idea
> isn't new and it didn't got a 'Go' at that moment. If we proceed with this
> work, does it mean a reopening of the item?

At the time ISPN-2940 was incorporated as an add-on to [1], but doing [1]
at this point is debatable.

> 2. Couldn't see any design docs for both SingleFile and SoftIndexFile
> store(s) subsystems - fairly, couldn't find design docs for any of the
> pluggable
>      cache store modules. I want to start from one of them to keep
> consistency and compatibility in style for easiness of adoption.

Sure, but HDFS is a slightly different filesystem: distributed, append-only
and not POSIX compliant, so I'm not sure at what extent it could be based
on the other two file stores.

> 3. Was the HDFS store idea abandoned because just using HBase would pretty
> much offer the same with the advantage of offloading on HBase the need
>     for compaction due to the append-only nature of HDFS?

At the end of the day, when using the HBase Cachestore [2], data will be
stored in HDFS, but with some caveats:

 * the data format will be whatever format HBase uses
 * requires HBase

OTOH, a pure HDFS cache store is an interesting proposal for the cases
where installing and maintaining HBase is not desirable, and it gives
freedom to choose a
highly interoperable storage like Apache Parquet [3]

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-2941
[2] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan-cachestore-hbase
[3] https://parquet.apache.org/