[jboss-dev] My logging ultimatum

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 14:10:46 EST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:46:17 +0100
Adrian Brock <abrock at redhat.com> wrote:

> But your proposal is for the appserver to do lots work
> for what I will describe again as little more than a
> aesthetic reason.

What about all the libraries and user programs that use JDK logging
today?  Are we saying they're second-class citizens, and that they have
to configure a separate logging system?  Even if I start using the
jboss logging facade right now, this problem still exists.  Either
we're going to support them, and handle JDK logging, or they're SOL.

> Quite frankly we've got better things to spend are
> time on than writing, testing and supporting
> a JUL->log4j adapter - even if it was technically possible
> e.g. weaving all your classes that do Logger.getLogger()
> to replace the implementation.

It doesn't have to be that complicated.  Just installing a simple
LogManager would do the trick... I've even got one lying around
somewhere that does exactly this.  It's not complicated.

> This is the part of the argument you just don't seem to be getting.
>
> Just because you don't want to use a very simple facade,
> others are forced to jump through hoops with more complicated
> facades or accept a less than optimal solution.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, just saying we ought to support
JDK logging, which is not unreasonable I think.

> "You cannot argue somebody out of a position using reason
> if they never reasoned themselves into it in the
> first place" :-)

OK.

Fact: we don't support JDK logging today in JBossAS.
Fact: it's simple to make an adapter LogManager for mapping JDK
logging to log4j.
Fact: There are libraries and user programs - even within JBossAS -
that use JDK logging today.

Is it so odd that I come to the conclusion that we should add support
for JDK logging?  I'd even argue that, by providing a simplified
LogManager, we'd increase server stability by factoring out those bugs
mentioned earlier.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

- DML