[jboss-dev] Include Web Beans RI in next JBoss 5 release

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Fri Jan 16 06:00:42 EST 2009

I agree with both arguments. We must stick to rule we set for
versioning. But we must also have a means to bring in new technologies
onto the AS platform.

For me I don't see option (b) happening in a fashion project leads want
to benefit of it. Most likely we'll have a quarterly or bi-monthly AS
release, while I would want a bi-weekly release of EJB3.

That's the reason why we're working on the EJB3 plugin. It works in a
similar manner to the WB RI update. Use ant to patch AS.

In future this is going to be handled by the patching functionality of
the Profile Service. It'll be backed up by a Maven repository where
it'll download the version of a bundle/package specified by the
administrator.

Some stuff I don't see happening, for example OSGi class loading
bundles. For example, jboss-metadata must only appear once because else
JBossSessionBeanMetaData != JBossSessionBeanMetaData anymore and you can
visualize how WB, WS, REST are ignoring EJB 3.1 beans.

Other things I think we should be able to do now like a meta xml
describing the bundle/package and it's dependencies, jarring it up,
putting that into a Maven repo and downloading it (and the dependencies
again).

Merging of config files will be an interesting problem and thus left out
of scope for the moment. :-)

Installation of jar files can for the moment be handled by Ant.

So you'll get something like:

repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/jboss/metadata/jboss-metadata-1.0.0.package
repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/jboss/metadata/jboss-ejb3-1.0.0.package
repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/jboss/metadata/jboss-webbeans-1.0.0.package

Each containing:
META-INF/jboss-profile.xml
META-INF/jboss-package-build.xml
lib/myjars.jar

With jboss-package-build.xml targets: install, uninstall.

Now I can see some mismatch between this idea and the Profile Service
designs, so I would like to move the EJB3 plugin to the next step
without slicing my fingers.

Note that developing in Branch_5_x and releasing against AS 5.0.0 is
impossible. Been there, done that. ;-)

Carlo

Threads on Profile Service:
[1] http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4201376