[jboss-dev] JPA 2 / Hibernate 3.5 in AS 5.2

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Sep 14 14:49:14 EDT 2009

I've started my migration work in
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/jpa/trunk/

But I need feedback.

Here are a few comments:
  - JBoss Metadata does parse JPA 1 style XML files and will need to
support JPA 2 style (schema version, validation mode and caching modes
have been added and need to be returned in PersistenceUnitInfo)
  - JBoss Metadata depends on JPA 1 (ie maven dep) and now need to
move to JPA 2
=> where should this be done? Which branch?

  - I have moved JPA deployers and friends to now depends on HEM
3.5.0.Beta1 and Bean Validation (adding a test dependency on Hibernate
Validator)
  - JPA deployers has a bunch of JPA interface implementations (of
EntityManagerFactory, EntityManager, PersistenceUnitInfo) which have
new methods.
  => Carlo I can't see how we can use API/SPIs to avoid a branching
here. Check out my patch and tell me if you see a solution that is
less complex than branching.

  - what is jboss-jpa-sandbox, it seems abandoned.
=> Should I migrate it as well?

I am bootstrapping BV for now but it will need integration with the
application level BV. I will take inspiration from the JSF work Stan
has done as soon as it's JNDI issue is solved.

Next step is:
  - get someone answer the JBoss Metadata questions
  - get Carlo approve the approach I've taken and commit.
  - in // I will start migrating the EJB3 project https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/ejb3/trunk/

When this is done I think I need to go tackle the JBoss AS main
project and integrate that.

Attached the patch I am proposing.

Emmanuel