[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - Re: Feature request regarding nested conversations

matt.drees do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Sep 19 02:21:16 EDT 2007

Hi Jacob,

So you're not using a SMPC.  I guess I tend to assume everybody uses them. :-)  My bad.

So I understand more, but I'm still missing a few pieces.

"jacob.orshalick" wrote : ...Seam has taken a snapshot of my Person entity in the outer conversation on nesting (which didn't have the new addresses).  The original Person instance will be reverted back to should the user back up to the original edit Person screen and submit.  Seam retrieves the outer conversation by id on submit and restores the state of my Person object at the time of the snapshot which doesn't include the new addresses.

It seems like you're embellishing Seam's behavior a little bit.  It's my understanding that when you begin a nested conversation, Seam doesn't take a snapshot, it just creates a new empty "container", and prevents you from storing new objects in the parent container.  While in the nested conversation, new objects are stored in this new container, and lookups look there before looking in the parent container; there's no automatic cloning going on.  And if a user backbuttons out of a nested conversation, then there's no "restoring" going on, either; the nested container is simply not there, so new objects get stored in the parent container and lookups look there first.

So, to get the behavior you're talking about, I think you'd need to manually clone the person object when starting a nested conversation.  The "original state" Person would stay in the parent conversation, and the new cloned Person, which might be edited, goes in the nested conversation.  I'm guessing you must be doing this cloning manually somehow to get the behavior you describe, but you speak as if it's automatic.  Could you explain a little more or show some code?

Thanks!

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4085857#4085857

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4085857