[jbosstools-dev] How to keep track of ResourceBundle keys?

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 21:21:44 EDT 2008

Snjezana Peco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Eclipse contains standard tools for externalization(Source>Externalize
> Strings, Source>Find Broken Externalized Strings, PDE Tools>Externalize
> Strings)

Looks like they've added a couple of useful wizards since I last looked
into it.

> Here is an article about externalization Eclipse plugins
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Internationalization/how2I18n.html
> (it is an older, but still useful article) as well as an article
> describing how to test externalized plugins
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-TVT/how2TestI18n.html .

Thanks.

> There is also the Babel project that can be used for externalization and
> translation: http://eclipse.org/babel .This project is used to translate
> Eclipse projects (Eclipse, WTP...). I haven't used it before, but will
> review it.

I'm actually in the process of getting Babel's translations packaged for
the next version of Fedora.  Look for the package 'eclipse-nls', coming
soon to a mirror near you!

 > I believe that xmodel will make a problem during the
> internationalization process because it contains hard-coded constants. I
> am not sure if there is any way to internationalize those constants (the
> org.jboss.tools.common.model/meta/studio_eclipse_option.meta file
> contains the Visual/Source, Source, Preview constants, for instance. I
> can't find a way to localize them).

Um.  That must be
<http://viewvc.jboss.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/jbosstools/trunk/common/plugins/org.jboss.tools.common.model/resources/meta/studio_eclipse_option.meta?view=markup>

I'll have to look at that when I can.  Perhaps it will be possible to
generate such a file in multiple versions (one for each locale) by
merging a generic template and the translations during the build
process.  (And then finding a way to load the appropriate version at
runtime.)  I'm sure someone in my team will have some ideas.  There's
definitely some work to be done in that area, in any case.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer
Engineering - Internationalisation