[jbosstools-dev] what is jboss.org/NS/ServerReq ?

Pavol Srna psrna at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 08:15:01 EDT 2013

On 04/11/2013 12:52 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Got any examples of this xml ?

Here are some examples of xml (drafts):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swn1mmrhktev8mx/JBossAS71.xml
https://www.dropbox.com/s/19802tauw279sd2/JBossEAP60.xml

> First instinct input:
>
> Why do we have hard coded EAP and AS names in here?
>
> AS is not going to be called AS much longer.
> EAP is just one of many.

The names are derived from the server adapter labels as seen in
'eclipse/new server' wizard.

I intentionally hard coded server versions and names to the xsd file,
because I wanted to have some kind of validation on entry phase - that
means that this will be automatically validated when first reading the
xml configuration. Only valid combinations will be accepted (e.g.
combination of EAP in version 3.2 will not be validated) I don't argue
that this can't be handled on higher level (for instance when there is
no EAP server adapter for version 3.2, we will get
WidgetNotFoundException).

And I like the idea that the xsd describes a valid xml requirement and a
user can see what is valid and supported on a first glance.

> What about tomcat, jetty, fusion and other server/runtimes.
>
> The design seems very limited in that context.
>
> Secondly, I do no think this should be isolated to reddeer/swtbot
> based tests. We already have multiple mutations of this.

Red Deer was designed as a general testing framework for eclipse with
multiple modules. And the idea was that if there is some kind of
"industry" specific requirement, then an extension to reddeer will be
written - but 'project reddeer' don't care.

As we have jboss specific server requirements (now we stand on the
industry side, not on the reddeer project side) we decided to implement
a reddeer extension for jboss server requirements: that is the package
org.jboss.ide.eclipse.as.reddeer in jbosstools-integration-tests
repository. And this is a reddeer extension only for jboss products,
that's why there is no tomcat and so on.

Besides that, this requirements operate on jboss server adapter UI
wizards when setting up a server for the test. (and tomcat has a
slightly different wizards as far as I know) - that's the other reason
why is this not meant to be for tomcat, jetty etc.

For tomcat, jetty, fusion and so on we could write several other redder
extensions which would support also theirs respective UI server wizards.

I agree with you that we should not limit this just to swtbot based
tests.  But I'd like to limit this to
JBoss products (not tomcat etc) because of the swtbot based tests.

-Pavol.