[jbosstools-dev] Plugin versions

Mickael Istria mistria at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 02:31:09 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 08:29 PM, Denis Golovin wrote:
> It is going to be JBoss Developer Studio (Kepler) I really would like
> to have installation failed for Juno, to avoid flow of errors about
> class/methods not being found and alike problems.
Hibernate needs to change the version of Dali they depend on because
they use the latest stuff from Dali. If trying to install without a
recent version of Dali, the installation will fail because of
unavailable dependency. The project *requires* a recent version of Dali,
and update the MANIFEST accordingly.
About the other components -which don't depend on Kepler for most of
them-, I have the opposite feeling: some people will be happy to see
them working on Juno. Why updating MANIFEST and block that? What is the
added value?
But as you said, the entry would be called JBoss Tools (Kepler) and will
be only supported on Kepler, and we'll tell people that they need to use
Kepler to use it. But if they want to try on Juno, at their own risk,
why preventing compatible component to be installed and working there?

> Vice versa now JBoss Tools (Juno) doesn't show it is actually cannot
> be installed on Kepler, because Hibernate Tools is affected by changes
> in Dali API. Should we release 4.0.1 with fixed hibernate tools
> dependencies?
No, I think that Hibernate Tools are exclusive: last version works only
on Juno, next version only on Kepler+. There is a technical reason for
that which is an API breakage from Dali. It's the only example in JBoss
Tools where a component needs to update a version in the MANIFEST.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>