[jbosstools-dev] Versioning of components..please be careful

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 05:02:09 EST 2013

Hey,

I'm currently working with Rob on figuring why 3.3.x have a mix of as 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 versions of the AS components and just want to remind everyone that:

A) its important to make sure to bump your component version when we do a release and just a single line has changed.
B) our current build rebuilds and release all plugins for a component

Thus to keep things simple we just have one version number for each major component instead of for every plugin.
You can read about that at https://community.jboss.org/en/tools/blog/2011/09/17/coping-with-versions-in-large-multi-module-osgi-projects

And this also shows how its easy to update these by running:

mvn org.eclipse.tycho:tycho-versions-plugin:set-version -DnewVersion=<version>

in the top of the component.

This updates feature.xml, pom.xml. manifest.mf etc. no need for individual manual or semi-automatic scripted meddling.

Thus please *do not* just bump an individual plugin since if  1 plugin is changed the whole component is rereleased and thus should be version bumped to
not have multiple artifacts with the same x.y.z version.

Thanks,