[jbosstools-dev] How should we deal with components of projects which have not changed since JBT 4.1.0.Final (eg., jbosstools-base/runtime) ?

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Tue Oct 1 08:03:43 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 09:18:07PM +0200, Mickael Istria wrote:
>On 09/30/2013 07:30 PM, Rob Stryker wrote:
>>If the developer does not commit anything to that repo, then it does
>>not need a version bump.
>I tend to disagree here: finishing a release is also preparing the
>next one. When version x.y.z is released there shouldn't be any other
>build creating an x.y.z version on an active dev stream.
>So IMO, although it indeed does not provide immediate value for
>developers, bumping version makes it clear to anyone consuming
>directly code from repository that this is after the release. In that
>case, anyone includes the jbosstools and devstudio aggregators.

Agreed. Same is done for normal maven projects.

Just for one own sanity avoiding local p2 repos to use same version from
what you just released and what you are building now would be a good thing.
>One day, developers will have to deal with something like this: http://blog.osgi.org/2013/09/baselining-semantic-versioning-made-easy.html
>, which is quite strict.

This is what we in theory already should be doing - but yes, because we tend to release all together we haven't seen the impact of when it was forgotten.