[jsr-314-open] JavaScript disabled support [Was: Outcome of JSFDays discussions]

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 13 02:22:06 EDT 2009

> - potentially, every command-link could be rendered as an <input
> type="submit">, and then some additional javascript is rendered which
> makes this look and act like a link: a very interesting suggestion,
> cause it would mean we would not need any javascript detection at all!
> However, I do see some backwards compatibility issues.

I don't want to interrupt a good discussion, so just take note of my comment
here. Styling buttons is not always reliable. Some browsers ignore styles
completely, so generally I won't recommend this approach. Spring Faces
renders a button first and then swaps in a link if JavaScript is available
(by using JavaScript). I was impressed by the idea, but a non-technical user
noticed the "flash" it creates in some browsers that don't execute DOM
manipulation fast enough. Therefore, I like the idea of deciding up front of
a browser is going to support JavaScript or not and then choose the most
optimal rendering from then on out (i.e., render normally once it's
determined that JavaScript is enabled rather than using these hacks on every
request).

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.