[jsr-314-open] [293-Ajax] REOPEN rename <f:ajax> to <f:clientBehavior>?

Andy Schwartz andy.schwartz at ORACLE.COM
Thu Apr 23 07:17:21 EDT 2009

Hi Ed -

I can see the argument that we should provide a generic
<f:clientBehavior> that plays the same role that <f:converter> and
<f:validator> play for Converters and Validators - ie. allows the page
author to attach an arbitrary attached object instance by id/binding.
(I kind of thought that we might have provided this already, but looking
at the release candidate 2 PFD tag docs, I do not see this.)  However, I
do not see <f:clientBehavior> as as a replacement for <f:ajax>, but an
addition to our tag API.  Since such an addition would make the Behavior
API more consistent with our Converter/Validator APIs - something we've
been striving for from the start of the Behavior API design process - I
would be happy to see this go in.

I am very much opposed, however, to removing the <f:ajax> tag in favor
of a generic <f:clientBehavior> tag, for the same reasons that I would
be opposed to removing, say, <f:convertNumber> in favor of the generic
<f:converter> tag.

Andy