[jsr-314-open] My performance AI from the EG meeting

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:31:47 EST 2009

Great news Jim!

Our focus on improvements in 2.0 clearly had a big impact based on the
reaction of the audience at JSF Summit. The flipside is that with many (if
not all) of the high profile problems solved or with pending solutions,
people have immediately turned towards asking about performance. It will be
great to be able to point them at something.

The Seam QA team has used selenium quite extensively and found it reasonably
pleasant. Perhaps Jay Balunus can speak more to the experience since he
helped get it all setup. They had a talk on a Tellenium at Rich Web, which
appears to be a stack on top of Selenium, but I don't know much about it:
http://code.google.com/p/aost/

I think OSS is definitely a prerequiste here so that we can all participate
in running the tests if we want.

-Dan

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Jim Driscoll <Jim.Driscoll at sun.com> wrote:

> So, I've been thinking about measuring relative performance, and I think
> that what we may want to do is to try to get JSF into the next specweb
> standard.  There are currently ASPX, PHP and JSP in the standard.
> http://www.spec.org/web2009/
>
> We'll see what Sun's performance guys say.
>
> That would allow us to 1) compare JSF implementations for performance
> (always useful), and 2) compare JSF releases for performance, to guard
> against performance degradation from spec changes (very, very useful).
>
> We'll also want to port over some subset of the tests to something like
> Wicket.  It also might be fun/interesting to port over some tests to Rails
> as well.  I expect that Wicket may have some advantage in some cases, since
> the programmer creates the tree, rather than the framework - but then, I can
> also write things faster using an assembler, for much the same reason, with
> some of the same problems.  I also expect that we'll find a few very obvious
> places to boost speed - we've been mostly striving for correctness in 2.0.
>
> Ajax tests, otoh, are likely to be much, much harder.  There are commercial
> products, like the neotys.com one that Ted mentioned, but I don't have to
> tell you that my budget for this is $0 - maybe that can change, but I
> suspect I'll be writing client scripts and using Selenium.  Ick.
>
> Anyhow, it's a long term project, and I wanted to update you on my
> thinking, and seek feedback.
>
> Jim

Registered Linux User #231597