[jsr-314-open] [jsf2.next] WITHDRAWN Proposal to support newsemantic HTML5 tags

Imre Osswald ioss at mx.jevelopers.com
Mon Dec 14 21:52:14 EST 2009

While I see the benefit of components that will provide semantical/
structural information about the view, I don't think we need every
HTML(5)-tag as a component but rather tags, that are able to represent
the structure of a document in a more abstract way. Also I don't think
renderkit authors would be thrilled to see that many new standard
components they would have to support in case we add every possible
HTML-tag. (But we could probably ask both ;) )

As I don't think we will be able to come up with a tagsoup that will
cover 80% of the needs of users and renderkit developers, a possible
way to give for example early adaptors of HTML5 a simple solution,
would be to make composite-component libraries "renderkit(mode)" aware
and a simple way to declare/match these modes. So a compcomp author
could provide two (or more) libraries with implementations of
<my:nav>, which will translate depending of the user-agent/outputtype
to either <nav>, <ul class="nav"> , <pdf:toc>, ... effectively
creating different view files for different presentations, agreeing on
the coupling of presentation and view files with Lincoln.

Imre Oßwald