[jsr-314-open] An observation on where we should focus attention

Imre Osswald ioss at mx.jevelopers.com
Wed Dec 23 16:01:13 EST 2009

On 23.12.2009, at 21:22, Dan Allen wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Lincoln Baxter, III <lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> Then there's the lovely version issue, when each lib depends on a
> different jquery... oops; ) that one shouldn't happen too much, but
> Its worth considering... might be easy just to say "you're on your
> own"
>
> Well, in a sense it would be like a Maven dependency in that you
> have to specify a version range of compatibility. If the the page
> attempts to load different versions, where one is not in the range
> of accepted versions of the other, it would throw some sort of
> compatibility exception (otherwise, you just get unexpected behavior
> in the page). I'm speaking fairly high level here, but certainly
> worth considering if the goal is the really make sure we support
> mixing and matching components.

While it would be great to have jsf  automatically resolve duplicates/
versions, I think sometimes the developers has to get involved, so
first of all it should be possible to map resource-requests to other
resources, so that a user (=developer) could say  (.*)jquery(.*).js
maps to lets say a jquery-min-1.2.13.js resource in some other jar or
war.
(This could even be used to replace images of components with one
line, if you allow for references from the matches on the source-
regexp in the target-exp)
While it is possible to do that on your own, I think that could be a
valuable addition to the specs.

Concerning version issues, I don't think we should come up with a
solution (which would probably involve versionnamespacing the included
scripts and the calls to it... ugly!) but as suggested just say
"you're on your own".

Imre