[jsr-314-open] Components

Martin Marinschek mmarinschek at apache.org
Sun Oct 18 07:11:12 EDT 2009

Hi guys,

> We were discussing this offline a bit. I made that point the <f:*> tags and
> the major UIComponent types (which Alex already mentioned) may belong in the
> core spec and the <h:*> tags, plus any layout sets we add, would belong in
> the component spec. Seems reasonable to me. Given how big the JSF spec is,
> it might be easier to manage if it was in two (or more) parts.

This would certainly make a lot of sense. And we already reached
conclusion on this list that we should split off the components into a
separate spec. Ed agreed, with the remark that he would want someone
with experience in leading a successful specification effort (I am not
quoting, but this is basically what he said) to be the lead of such a
spec. However, given the current (merger) situation, I am not sure
where we are with regards to new specs being given a chance.

In the meantime, I definitely agree with the discussion on the rest of
this thread: filling the wide gaps is a lot better than defining a lot
of javascript hocus pocus in the specification.
For me, the gaps are:

- file upload (should be easy to do with Servlet 3.0)
- subform (and an interface for forms)
- sortable table (very basic, but very useful for RAD)
- eventually, a basic server side tree (with a sophisticated model
which we all can agree on and a basic rendering we all can do better
within our component libraries)
- a radio-button which works in a table

regards,

Martin