[jsr-314-open-mirror] [jsr-314-open] Enabling easier hotplugging

Werner Punz werner.punz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 06:41:39 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Ed Burns <edward.burns at oracle.com> wrote:

> werner.punz at gmail.com> said:
>
> WP> Btw. my personal opinion regarding all this is that this should be
> WP> solved in a special spec which frameworks can attach to.  After all
> WP> the entire configuration change aspect is not only JSF specific but
> WP> goes way depper into every framework.
>
> WP> But I guess someone has to do the first step before an umbrella jsr
> WP> spanning all JEE frameworks is opened :-)
>
> Yes, that's certainly true.  In fact, there's a time honored tradition
> of JSF being an important place where innovation enters the platform.
>
> This is a very thorough proposal, Werner.  Thanks for preparing it.
>
> I'd like to see this API done in terms of existing APIS, such as the
> java.lang.management MBeans [1].  Is it possible we can use JMX rather
> than introducing a new API?
>
> Ed
>
> [1]
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/overview.html#mbeans
>
> I assume so, I just had a quick look at it, it sounds very sane to use it,
since
it is part of the JDK since 5 so we are save to be able to run it in any
context.
Secondly it deals with configuration singletons anyway, and

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/management/Descriptor.html
seems to be able to handle get,insert,delete,update usecases.

But I am by far no expert in that part of the java API (I always skipped it
for not having
ever used it in my life, I just knew it existed)

So can anyone with more insight can elaborate if we can reuse it?

Werner