[keycloak-dev] Changes to landing page

Viliam Rockai vrockai at redhat.com
Wed Nov 13 10:05:02 EST 2013

On 11/13/2013 12:57 PM, Alexandre Mendonca wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working on KEYCLOAK-123: Refreshing page or opening
> bookmarked pages doesn't work. Basically the issue is that when a URL
> (eg: http://localhost:8080/auth-server/admin/index.html#/realms/test)
> is pasted or refreshed, we are thrown back to the default/first realm
> settings page instead of intended page.
>
> It basically needs some changes to the GlobalCtrl
> <https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/master/admin-ui/src/main/resources/META-INF/resources/admin/js/controllers/realm.js#L1> in
> order to not set any $location by default, leaving it to the angular
> router to handle the path.
>
> So, while fixing this, it made sense to me and Stian that the landing
> page would rather be a Realms List instead of landing on the first
> realm settings page. There's already a realm-list.html page made for
> this (which needed some fixes to work properly). So the idea now would
> be to make this page a bit more dynamic: in case the user is not
> logged in it should show a brief intro about Keycloak while in case
> the user is logged in, it would show the realm list (plus any other
> generic information that would make sense to be in keycloak "home page").

For non logged user it makes sense. I'm not so sure about the logged-in
user use-case.

I can see two cases:
1. User wants to edit 1st realm from the list - he has to click on that
realm from the list. Now he's already there. Result: 1 more step added.
2. User wants to edit non-1st realm from the list - he has to click on
the realm from the list. Now he has to choose it from the list. Result:
equal number of steps.

So unless we know what useful "other generic information" should be
there, for me it's like adding one more step for the user in some cases.
I'm aware of facts, that "steps" in my cases are not equal to clicks and
those information value can leverage that extra step, I'm just trying to
add my 5c.