[keycloak-dev] server start up errors

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Jun 20 20:07:56 EDT 2016

On 06/20/2016 06:13 AM, Marko Strukelj wrote:
> The first error means that there are existing tables in the local H2
> database (under standalone/data there are keycloak.* files).
>
> It looks like the logic determined that they are of some previous db
> schema version, and tried to upgrade the schema to latest version, but
> unexpectedly the schema in place already seems to contain the tables it
> wasn't supposed to contain.
>
> I suppose that could happen if upgrade process is interrupted by
> restarting the server?
>
> Since you are using the default H2 database I assume you don't care
> about any existing data. The solution for you then is to stop the
> server, delete the database (rm standalone/data/keycloak.*), and start
> the server again.

Thank you Marko, I've got a few more questions for you.

These errors occur during automated installation and configuration via
ansible.

One of the operations performed is invoking bin/add-user-keycloak to add
the admin user. I seem to recall add-user-keycloak operates on static
files which are read during start up. Could the use of add-user-keycloak
trigger the schema errors seen in the log?

This is a brand new install so why would there be an upgrade process
running?

The ansible scripts do restart the server. Starting the server is done
via bin/standalone.sh but stopping the server is performed by systemd
sending a SIGTERM, waiting and then sending a SIGKILL (or so I believe).
Does the upgrade process gracefully handle SIGTERM such that it
continues to run until complete and then exit?

--
John