[rules-dev] Issues with fixing duplicate rule name declarations in separate resource files.

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Sat Jul 9 19:31:21 EDT 2011

On 10/07/2011 00:23, Mark Proctor wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 00:20, Mark Proctor wrote:
>> On 09/07/2011 23:59, Mikael Lönneberg wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In trying to fix JBRULES-2730 and JBRULES-3063, I noticed that
>>> fixing this issue will actually break MiscTest#testRuleReplacement.
>>> So should this test case be rewritten to not allow rule replacement,
>>> or are there circumstances where rule replacements are allowed and
>>> if that is the case what are those circumstances?
>> Rule replacement is allowed and an important part of a dynamic rule
>> engine. I believe what we do is disallow it from the same resource
>> (should double check that) i.e. a drl that repeats the rule twice is
>> an error. If you load a later resource it will overwrite the previous.
> Thinking about this some more. We should probably add a "getWarnings"
> as well as getErrors. Rule overwriting would come with a warning.
>
> We might even find a way build warning filters, a composite set of
> warnings to fail on, but user defineable.
If you want to work on a separate jira for this?

1) add warnings list to packagebuilder
2) add hasWarnings and getWarnings, in mirror of errors.
3) allow hashWarnings and getWarnings to take positive/negative
warnings. i.e. ignore duplicate resource (hasWarnings would return
false), report duplicate file (is returned in list). This should be some
sort of chainable or compositable filter, with sane defaults.

For us to include this it will need to be well unit tested and ideally
report other types of warnings too... Ideas on other types of warnings
(note this is different to verification and analysis)

Mark