[rules-users] confused on when to call fireAllRules

Charles Binford Charles.Binford at Sun.COM
Wed Dec 16 17:52:23 EST 2009

Hi,  I'm trying to add some functionality to my 4.0.7 based project and
am realizing I don't understand some basics as well as I thought I did.
Until now, I've been using a very simple model:  create session, insert
facts, fire rules, destroy session.  My new functionality needs to use a
long lived session.  I also may find the duration feature useful so I
searched through the examples and found the TroubleTicketExample.  Now
what has be confused is that example shows rules firing AFTER control
has been returned from the fireAllRules() call.  I tried to create
something similar - call fireAllRules, then call session.update(han,
obj) - but nothing happens.  If I call fireAllRules again (after the
update) then my rule fires as expected.    My test didn't use any
duration statement.  Is that the magic in the TroubleTicketExample?  If
so, then how does one have a clue as to whether one needs to call
fireAllRules after an update or not (i.e. no way to tell if a duration
rule is keeping it running)?  Obviously I'm missing some basic
understanding here.  Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Charles Binford