[rules-users] Access to globals from WorkItemHandlers?

Ed Staub estaub at telcordia.com
Tue Apr 20 14:15:16 EDT 2010

tolitius wrote:

> I don't really understand why would not out of the Drools Flow box mapping
> ( e.g. <mapping type="in" from="databaseCredetials"
> to="databaseCredetials" /> ) work for you.

Anatoly,

It would, technically.  It's actually a marketing problem that I'm trying to
avoid!  We are by no means settled on Drools.  There are a lot of horror
stories about rule-engine performance, and Drools in particular.  I'm sure
that most of them are based on bad design choices... but I'd like to avoid
any smell of unnecessary rule-engine overhead.

You probably can see where I'm going... in a forward-chaining engine like
Drools, every introduction or mutation of a variable requires matching
against the active rules.

In the context of a normal workflow, I believe that this overhead is
ridiculously trivial in the kind of use-case I've been talking about.  But
I'd prefer to avoid the discussion altogether!

-Ed