[rules-users] Audit Logs: Business Case? Any pearls of wisdom?

BenjaminWolfe benjamin.e.wolfe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:14:33 EDT 2012

Hello all,

My company is just venturing into Drools, and I'd like to help make the
endeavor as successful as possible.  We'll be incorporating the rules engine
into a broad range of use cases (depending on how successful the first few
are, of course), with a wide range of business users, most of them using the
Guvnor interface.

It seems to me we'll want some sort of audit log in the form of a
transaction-level table, simply to answer the question (in any given case,
for any reason) of /what happened?/.  On the other hand, a transaction-level
table -- for a whole set of rules -- for a *lot* of facts (built up over
time) -- could get pretty big.  And our tech folks might not want to
allocate resources to store and maintain the table.  So I have a couple of
questions for the more experienced Drools users:

1.  How might you build a solid business case for such logging?  Do you have
any specific examples of the problems an audit log would solve, or the
benefits it would create?
2.  How common is it to keep audit logs?  Do almost all of your projects
include them, almost none, or somewhere in between?
3.  Maybe I'm missing some nuance.  Do you include audit logs of some rules
fired, in some applications, but not others?  Any other nuggets of wisdom?

Thanks everyone,
Benjamin