[teiid-designer-dev] [teiid-dev] Teiid In JCA Container

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 10:19:46 EDT 2009

Jesper's Response..

Hi Ramesh.

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 18:15:20 Ramesh Reddy wrote:
> Jasper,

Its J*e*sper ;)

> Thanks again for very valuable comments. If you do not mind I will
post these on WIKI page to share with others.

Feel free, we should have this discussion on the Teiid design forum
really...

> (2) I understand. In Teiid we call this mode as embedded "File-path
> profile" in current release. We have to sacrifice the
> "classpath-profile" now for the benefits. see
> https://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/ConnectingtoTeiidEmbedded

Ok.

People have different definitions of embedded ;)

> Do MC beans provide the configuration functionality, where profile
> service is not? i.e. teiid-jboss-beans.xml through @ManagedObject, if
> that is case I need to think about bringing in MC as core dependency
for
> Teiid. Then, how are these available through JMX?

Different concepts.

A MC bean is just a Plain Old Java Object (POJO) managed by the JBoss
Microcontainer. The MC projects provides various APIs/SPIs to do
integration.

 http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewforum&f=228

Lead: Ales Justin

Profile Service handles "profiles" of a server -- e.g. "give me a
configuration with logging, naming, transaction, jca, messaging and
ejb3". The profile service selects the MC beans that will provide such a
profile.

 http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewforum&f=160

Lead: Emanuel Muckenhuber (and Scott Stark)

@ManagedObject identifies POJOs which have a management view - they
don't have to be registered as MC beans.

@ManagedObject <-> MBean is handled by a 'bridge'.

 http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewforum&f=160

Lead: Emanuel Muckenhuber (and Scott Stark)

> Committing to single platform does make things simpler.

You'll need various layers to deal with container (and kernel) specific
details - in order to run on various EE servers.

> Can you explain your comments on (34)?

When Teiid is running as part of the JBoss Application Server it should
use Profile Service) Create the server configuration for the Teiid
platform @ManagedObject) To identify management objects Other servers
uses other mechanisms. You'll have to evaluate each technology before
you bring it in - "do I want a hard dependency on this project ?", "do
the project have the performance profile we need ?", ... Good idea is to
use

 http://jboss.org/tattletale/

to get an overview of the projects you are working with - yes, that was
a shame-less plug ;)

I keep the documentation for JBJCA up-to-date for each release here:

 http://docs.jboss.org/jca/

But *note*, that certain parts of JBJCA != JBossAS... and there is
still
development to do before the first stable release.