[teiid-designer-dev] Connection Factories

Barry Lafond blafond at redhat.com
Thu Apr 8 17:40:05 EDT 2010

Removing the ability of a user to perform general CF management from Designer is the main sticking point here.

I agree with John that to be consistent with the other pieces of the SOA experience (aka JON/JOPR), then keeping this feature in Designer would be duplication of effort.

I don't know if I'd remove it just based on the "... well find me a valid use case" card. Trust me, if we asked that question for all of Designer features, we'd be yank ing a bunch of other things too.

Though I posted the "plan" and John very elegantly explained it in detail (THX JPAV), right now the proposal is on the table and we haven't yanked the CF creation/editing framework just yet.

IF there is ANY use-case involving "Developers" to work with MULTIPLE Vdb's and MULTIPLE Teiid instances from DESIGNER, then I'd lean more toward keep CF management feature in. Ramesh points out some possible ones that do make sense. Designer is going to have the API to implement this feature so we'd have to deliberately not expose it.

Any other perspectives?

Barry