[forge-dev] Data access logic used by scaffold code

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 01:50:01 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 01:27, Jason Porter <lightguard.jp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Dan, you're about an hour late to the party :) we've been discussing
> and Eichard has given me some info and code to look at and read through.

Cool. I just wanted to make sure I made the discussion public.

> As for the non dep idea, I can certainly understand where Lincoln and Pete
> are coming from. I do wonder though if that would preclude us from creating
> a CDI extension for rolling our own simple CRUD framework perhaps with an
> spi for future expansion. That be a bit much though. At any rate I need to
> go through the stuff Richard has sent me and give some feedback.

First, I want to acknowledge that Richard is working with requirements that
specify no deps. Being reminded of that, the design in the scaffolding
makes sense. So I don't mean to question your choice in working within
that requirement.

My personal viewpoint, which I recognize may have no relevance, is that
this is an extreme requirement. So I'm challenging the requirement, not the
implementation :)

I think the goal to make a pure Java EE application is absurd. If anything,
it reveals the shortcomings and verbosity in Java EE 6 more than it shows
how great it is. I get that we don't want to inflate the project with
libraries, but to say that you can't have a single JAR file extra from Java
EE, well, I just don't buy it.

I *suppose* we can have multiple providers. Either way, as Richard said,
Java EE 6 needs a decent CRUD and Query framework and whether it goes into
the default Forge scaffolding or not, 99% of developers are going to want
to use it if it's available.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen