[forge-dev] What to do about our little Windows joke...?

Jevgeni Zelenkov jevgeni.zelenkov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:26:42 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I saw that thread and wanted to add it to tomorrow's forge meeting
agenda I am fine discussing it here too.

After working mostly under windows I also tend to find it offending
too see "Windows? Really?" joke every time I start forge. Maybe I take
it too personal but the fact that I'm using windows should not imply
that I'm a worse person/user/developer. Maybe I am misinterpreting it
but this is how it feels to me. Besides, windows is the most popular
OS (I think it has about 90% of the OS market share) so it means that
most of the users will see that. Even if not everybody will take that
personal it still can make a lot of people unhappy by using forge. And
we want happy users, don't we?

I also see it every time I run "forge source-plugin" command. I swear
to god it's one of the reasons I am considering buying a mac asap :)

That said, after I deleted "Windows? Really?" joke from
~/.forge/config it suddenly started to FEEL better working with forge.
Unreasonable emotions? Yes, absolutely. But that's how human beings
work.

I don't mind having geeky/nerdy jokes like "still 32-bit" or "sun
still makes java" but only if there is an option/flag to turn them
off. I guess jvm vendor or 32/64-bit OS versions are not one of those
holywar topics, like windows vs mac, java vs c#, etc etc etc.

Best regards,
Jevgeni

P.S.
Wow, looks like I'm the only antagonist in here so far :S