[hibernate-dev] Hibernate 4 and the hibernate3.jar file in release bundle

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Sun Oct 10 14:38:37 EDT 2010

On Sunday, October 10, 2010 01:25:38 pm Paul Benedict wrote:
> I think uber jars are never a good idea. You get everything and
> developers don't care to find out what features they want or don't
> want.
Personally I agree 100% there.  Maybe even 10000000000% ;)

> As for Maven, have you considered profiles? If developers could
> activate them, there would be pre-built dependencies (like for c3p0).
> I find this better than Ivy.

Well couple of things there.  First, these would need to be profiles in their
poms.  AFAIK you cannot "invoke" profiles in poms of dependencies.  This
however is completely possible in Ivy, which is why I stated I thought it
would be the more flexible way to go.

Also, Hibernate 4 will not be built with Maven.  I am taking the opportunity
to also move to Gradle which I have wanted to do for quite some time.  Of
course if you say there is a way to do what I said above I thought was not
possible with Maven and "show me the light" we could make the generated poms
reflect these profiles.

As far as I know, the only way to do what you suggest with Maven would be for
us to develop an archetype.  The problem with these imho is that you rarely
are developing a "hibernate application"; more usually you are developing a
"web application", within which you are using hibernate.  So you need to
decide up front which archetype you want to use.  Its just very inflexible.

--
Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org