[hibernate-dev] new proposal for tx timeout handling using transaction DISASSOCIATING event notification...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 12:09:58 EDT 2015

On 03/10/2015 11:44 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
> Scott, I am not following.  Pardon me if I am being dense :)
>
> Today, in our afterCompletion hooks we have code that, in the case of
> rollback, tries to make a determination of whether the rollback is due
> to a timeout or a "normal" rollback.  If we deem a timeout occurred,
> then we delay the afterCompletion processing.

Currently, in our afterCompletion hooks, the determining code isn't
aware of the current/last application thread id.  I think that we are
only tracking the first thread id that is used with the Hibernate
session but not the last thread id.

> So how, specifically, would this be different in what you propose?

The new approach will not use thread id, instead in our afterCompletion
call, we will have the TM level knowledge, of whether the application
thread has called tx rollback/suspend/commit yet.  If the application
thread has called tx rollback/suspend/commit already, the
afterCompletion call can safely clear managed entities from the session
without violating concurrency concerns.  If the application has not yet
called tx rollback/suspend/commit yet, we need to defer the clearing of
the Hibernate session, until the TM listener calls us back, to let us
know that the application has called tx rollback/suspend/commit, at
which time we can safely clear the Hibernate session without violating
(Hibernate session) concurrency concerns.

> Are you saying that with this listener approach, that the listener would
> be notified of disassociation prior to the afterCompletion callback on
> our RegisteredSynchronization?  But in the timeout case, the
> disassociation would happen later?

Yes.  It is also possible that in the timeout case, that the
disassociation will come first (e.g. if there is a race between the app
committing the transaction and the reaper thread timing out) but more
likely that the disassociation comes later for the timeout case.

FYI, the TM level SPI changes [4][5] are still open for review.

Scott

[4] https://github.com/jbosstm/jboss-transaction-spi/pull/5
[5] https://github.com/jbosstm/narayana/pull/810