[hibernate-dev] Everyone: Need volunteers for mentoring GSOC

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Sun Mar 6 11:29:52 EST 2016

Hi,

> On 5 March 2016 at 19:56, Gunnar Morling <gunnar at hibernate.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've added a proposal for "Hibernate Search: JSR 352 batch job for
>> re-indexing entities":
>
> Looks great!
> A couple more thoughts about this one:
>  - should we suggest testing with different 2lc patterns, or keep it
> more open to suggest exploring additional ideas to push the indexing
> times down?

I'd say let's leave it a bit more open, so students can add their own ideas.

That said, what specifically do you have in mind here? I can see how
the 2nd level cache comes into play when re-indexing several entities
(e.g. A in its own index and another time via an @IndexedEmbedded
association B.A). Is this what you mean?

I've shared a Google doc for this with you, please feel free to add
any thoughts in addition to what's in the public proposal.

>  - do we need to clarify that we expect people to load such entities
> through their (existing) Hibernate mappings?

I don't think that's necessary right now. We can clarify these sorts
of things if applicants show up.

> I can see how somebody might think he can do better by hand-rolling
> SQL, but the goal should be to have the framework figure out the
> optimal way without users having to maintain such SQL.. so this might
> optionally produce some more general purpose optimisations to
> Hibernate ORM's fetch strategy implementations.
>
> Most importantly: you're mentoring this one?

Yes, I will, provided we find a student with high aspiration :)