[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH][V6-POC] Bug tracking for the Search 6 POC

Yoann Rodiere yoann at hibernate.org
Thu Apr 5 03:07:02 EDT 2018

Hello,

With the Search 6 POC getting closer and closer to something we can merge,
and thus more and more complex, we are starting to see quite a lot of TODOs
piling up.
I've been tracking most of them in a Google Doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PAa__LsxyLZcbW3q1MvgyIznh4ZnCYLupbNMXKMRds/edit?pli=1>
so far, and it's fine for big architectural topics, but for small things
it's clearly inadequate.

What would you all think if we started to use the main Hibernate Search
project to track the small TODOs we have in the Search 6 POC? We would
probably have to add some JIRA Components that only make sense in Search 6
("indexing", ...), but beyond that I don't think this would cause much
trouble.
The tickets would all be Tasks targeting version 6, and we could tag them
with a new "POC-6.0" component if you think it's necessary. Examples of
tasks would be:

   - Native sorts in the Lucene Sort DSL extension
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PAa__LsxyLZcbW3q1MvgyIznh4ZnCYLupbNMXKMRds/edit?pli=1#heading=h.1p57dh8ae6d5>
   - Native predicates in the Lucene Predicate DSL extension
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PAa__LsxyLZcbW3q1MvgyIznh4ZnCYLupbNMXKMRds/edit?pli=1#heading=h.1p57dh8ae6d5>
   - Rework the Lucene DSL implementations to fail fast when parameter
   conversion errors occur
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PAa__LsxyLZcbW3q1MvgyIznh4ZnCYLupbNMXKMRds/edit?pli=1#heading=h.xrk3mjaa7k9p>
   - Polish and test Stream indexing (add CompletableFuture returns in
   particular)
   - Decide wether to use absolute or relative object path in "nested"
   search predicates

If this feels like too much garbage for the main bug tracker, we can create
a separate JIRA project instead. But then this will add to the trouble
we'll have to go through when merging (commits referring to tickets from
another project).

Sanne, all, WDYT?
--
Yoann Rodiere