[jboss-as7-dev] Important Subsystem Management Use-Cases

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 15:15:59 EDT 2011

The following is my perception of what we really want to offer in terms
of management use cases on a per subsystem basis. In some cases we offer
these today in DMR, in others we do not, and need to get them in ASAP.
As a first though, I wanted to make sure that everyone is on the same
page about what we need. I tried to list these in order of importance.
Please offer your thoughts and/or make corrections

Infinispan
----------
1. Start/stop cache
2. Adjust expiration/eviction settings
3. Create new cache configs
4. Modify all other settings (write attribute)

JCA Core
---
1. Adjust work manager defaults
2. Modify all other settings (write attribute)

JCA Resource Adapters & Datasources
---------------------------------
1. Define new resource adapters / DS
2. Adjust pool settings
3. Pool metrics
4. Flush pools
5. Secure existing resource adapters
6. Change JNDI name (possibly a copy and expiration to allow hot changes)
7. Modify all other settings (write attribute)

Deployment Scanner
------------------
1. Disable/Enable
2. Modify all other settings (write attribute)

EE
--
1. Modify global module list
2. Dump all naming information for an EE deployment

EJB3
----
1. Manage pool settings
2. Pool metrics
3. Flush pools
4. Adjust default MDB resource adapter
5. Configure scheduler service
6. Scheduler service metrics
7. Modify all other settings (write attribute)
8. Manually remove/add scheduled events

JAX-RS
------
Nothing to do here?

JMX
---
1. Add/remove connection configuration
2. Security domain configuration

JPA
---
1. Setting the default data source
2. Enable/Disable and expose Hibernate Entity Manager metrics (note
these probably belong underneath the deployment)

Logging
-------
1. Define a new logger
2. Change log level (hot)
3. Edit all attributes on an existing logger
4. Add a custom handler
5. Add a custom formatter

Naming
------
1. Dump all jndi bindings

OSGi
----
1. Anything beyond Enable/Disable is a nice to have

POJO
----
Nothing to do here?

Remoting
--------
1. Add/Edit all connectivity information
2. Modify thread pool settings
3. Modify all other settings (write attribute)

SAR
---
Perhaps some combatibility settings?

Security
--------
1. Define a new security domain
2. Flush authentication cache on the domain
3. Edit all attributes on a domain (write attribute)
4. Authentication metrics

Transactions
------------
1. Edit recovery manager settings
2. Toggle JTA/JTS (restart required ok)
3. All other writable attributes
4. Transaction metrics

Web
---
1. Add / Remove connector configs
2. Edit all connector settings
3. Connection metrics
4. Add / Remove virtual server configurations
5. Add / Remove virtual server aliases and edit all settings
6. Specify a custom executor

Weld
----
Nothing to do here?