[jboss-as7-dev] Confusion with arguments for domain.sh, domain controller vs. process controller

Rostislav Svoboda rsvoboda at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 07:53:50 EDT 2011

Hi Brian.

****** Arguments for domain.sh command

I have problem to understand some arguments for domain.sh command:

     --pc-address=<address>              Address of process controller socket
     --pc-port=<port>                    Port of process controller socket

     --interprocess-name=<proc>          Name of this process, used to register the socket with the server in the process controller
     --interprocess-hc-address=<address> Address this host controller's socket should listen onr
     --interprocess-hc-port=<port>       Port of this host controller's socket  should listen on

For example --pc-address and --pc-port are dynamically generated for host-controller process and when I run for example ./bin/domain.sh --pc-port 50123 I receive java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused.

Are these options really meant to be public? Could you please provide use cases when it's beneficial to use them? There is no information on https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/AS7/.

****** Domain Controller vs. Process Controller

When I start domain.sh command, 4 new java processes are crated.

[rsvoboda at rosta-ntb jboss-as7]$ ps aux | grep java

1) Process containing 'org.jboss.as.process-controller' - this seems to be the main process.

I'm using Domain Controller term when speaking about main process. Is Process Controller equivalent to Domain Controller?

Logging+configuration are speaking about Process Controller.
Getting+started+with+JBoss+AS is speaking about Domain Controller.
Getting+Started+Guide is speaking about both Domain and Process Controller.

2) Process containing 'org.jboss.as.host-controller' - process for host controller

Just occurred to me - Isn't Host Controller on main instance called Domain Controller and Process Controller is only a glue?

This process has defined '--pc-address rosta-ntb --pc-port 34876' and it seems it can't be overridden as mentioned before.

3+4) 2 process for server-one and server-two.

Maybe adding description of java processes to the Admin Guide would be nice.

Thanks,
Rosta