[jboss-dev] Embedded DB for internal use

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 15:54:50 EDT 2007

I know there've been a few threads on this general topic, so please
forgive if I'm rehashing old ground.

I'd like to replace the way clustered web sessions and clustered EJB3
SFSBs store their data.  They currently do it to the file system via
JBossCache's FileCacheLoader.  Lot's of issues with that. A simple
alternative is a config change to use JDBCCacheLoader and have the
storage done to an embedded DB.

My assumptions about this are:

1) Each AS instance would be *meant to* have it's own DB instance; it's
not meant to be a shared resource. A user reconfiguring the AS to share
the same db instance with the same schema between AS instances would be
making a configuration mistake.
2) It would be a production ready RDBMS (Derby ???); expectation would
not be that customers should replace it by default.
3) We'd deploy our own datasource (say "EmbeddedDS" or "InternalDS") to
talk to it. Internal services like I described would use that datasource.
4) DefaultDS could point to it as well, so the AS works out of the box.
But the recommendation there would be the same as now -- reconfigure the
DefaultDS to point to an external production-ready DB.

Thoughts?

--
Brian Stansberry
Lead, AS Clustering