[jboss-dev] Why Maven sucks (part 1)

Adrian Brock abrock at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 08:22:12 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:05 +0200, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Carlo de Wolf <cdewolf at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  Why does it fail?
> >  We now have a working ant script (because it's the same one as with
> > buildmagic) and dependencies being resolved by Maven. I say the target has
> > been achieved.
>
> Last friday, it couldn't get me the proper version of a JAR
> (jboss-vfs.jar), for whatever reason (I don't want to know the reason,
> really). It also maintains two repositories, which sounds bad to me.
> Why keep arguing about the obvious ?

These is really none issues.

The two repositories are a transitional problem because
we aren't fully using maven.

We use the maven repository to create a jboss-head/thirdparty
repository which the old buildmagic recognises.

Once we move to full maven there will be NO jboss-head/thirdparty.
It's redundant but not a real problem.

The jboss-vfs problem is related to the snapshots issues we have
been discussing. i.e. no proper version control.

It didn't spot the new snapshot created last Friday because
it only checks for changed snapshots once a day.
http://snapshots.jboss.org/maven2/org/jboss/jboss-vfs/2.0.0-SNAPSHOT/jboss-vfs-2.0.0-20080418.091227-10.pom

Once we have weened ourselves off the snapshot habit,
this problem will go away as well.
(That is unless you do like Clebert did and change a release's
binaries after everybody has downloaded them :-)
--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adrian Brock