[jboss-dev] Hack for Continuous Integration in AS

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 13:16:03 EST 2009

Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
> Had a thought regarding the lack of testability for non-released
> components in AS.
>
> The chicken-egg dilemna is:
>
> * We can't validate a release until it passes AS and TCK TestSuites
> * We can't integrate into AS until a component is released
>
> So we work around this by releasing, crossing our fingers, and
> re-releasing if a problem pops up.
>
> Some hack idea is:
>
> * Create "component-matrix-continuous" with parent of "component-matrix"
> * c-m-c may define versioned SNAPSHOTs in the depMgt section, overriding
> those defined by c-m.
> * Make a property to set the artifactId of the parent of thirdparty POM
> to the continuous build:
>
>  > ./build.sh -Dcontinuous=true
>
> ...then we can set up Hudson runs to test versioned SNAPSHOTs to catch
> errors that may be coming down the line without affecting the normal build.
>
> WWJD?

Hmm. The thing I wonder though is how useful this will be if you start
pulling in everyone's snapshots. You will probably end up with
incompatible combinations.

It's probably more useful if every team has their own manual or
automated integration run. This could either be snapshot based via some
kind of maven override, or could be a temporary branch created off the
main AS branch that includes the changes.

--
Jason T. Greene