[jboss-dev] Logging & bootstrap integration branch merged

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Jul 15 11:34:05 EDT 2009

On 07/15/2009 07:35 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> - The boot-time log config is slightly different (see
>> "system/src/resources/logging.properties")
>> - Run-time log config now uses SchemaResolverDeployer to deploy
>> jboss-logging.xml (located in deploy/, not conf/, due to the way the
>> new MC deployer system works; look in deployers/ for more information
>> about how the POJO log service works)

> This would mean that the appenders/handlers for server.log would be
> created when the jboss-logging.xml is picked from the deploy folder.
> Wouldn't it be too late? I mean the server.log would no longer contain
> most of the logs from the deployers/deployments prior to the
> jboss-logging.xml being configured, isn't it? The logs prior to this
> configuration being picked up, would be logged to boot.log which is
> controlled through the logging.properties within the
> JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.jar file. So configuring the logging.properties would
> involve unzipping and updating the logging.properties and zipping back
> the archive. Would it be possible to handle this in a better way?

Yeah, *if* we come up with a sort of "config-deploy" folder that is
deployed after deployers but before deploy.  I think this will be a common
problem as more and more things are POJO-ized.  Maybe we should have one
"master" configuration file which covers everything, placed in this
location.  Or maybe not. :-)

Another option would be to put the deployer *and* the config file into the
bootstrap process, which I don't want to do (I'd rather have a more
general-purpose solution).  Alternately, I could have left it in conf/ and
added a bootstrap step to deploy it separately, but then it would be
impossible to redeploy/reconfigure logging.

> By the way, is the xsd for the jboss-logging.xml available for reference?

Yes, right here:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/logging-service-metadata/trunk/src/main/resources/META-INF/schema/jboss-logging_6_0.xsd

- DML