[jboss-dev] Logging & bootstrap integration branch merged

Jaikiran Pai jpai at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 14:33:55 EDT 2009

David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 07/15/2009 07:35 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>>
>>> - The boot-time log config is slightly different (see
>>> "system/src/resources/logging.properties")
>>> - Run-time log config now uses SchemaResolverDeployer to deploy
>>> jboss-logging.xml (located in deploy/, not conf/, due to the way the
>>> new MC deployer system works; look in deployers/ for more
>>> information about how the POJO log service works)
>
>> This would mean that the appenders/handlers for server.log would be
>> created when the jboss-logging.xml is picked from the deploy folder.
>> Wouldn't it be too late? I mean the server.log would no longer
>> contain most of the logs from the deployers/deployments prior to the
>> jboss-logging.xml being configured, isn't it? The logs prior to this
>> configuration being picked up, would be logged to boot.log which is
>> controlled through the logging.properties within the
>> JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.jar file. So configuring the logging.properties
>> would involve unzipping and updating the logging.properties and
>> zipping back the archive. Would it be possible to handle this in a
>> better way?
>
> Yeah, *if* we come up with a sort of "config-deploy" folder that is
> deployed after deployers but before deploy.  I think this will be a
> common problem as more and more things are POJO-ized.  Maybe we should
> have one "master" configuration file which covers everything, placed
> in this location.  Or maybe not. :-)
It depends when we want the logging service to be started. I guess, the
best time would be to start the logging service as soon as the bootstrap
is done so that the logging service can capture and log as much
information as possible. I agree with the "config-deploy" sort of
necessity which might be required going forward (or i think it will get
addressed if we move to the system-apps-deploy folder sort of thing that
we discussed some time back). But i guess in case of the
logging-service, it still would be too late because we would have either
lost or would be difficult to configure the logging for the "deployers"
since the logging service would start after the "deployers".

> Another option would be to put the deployer *and* the config file into
> the bootstrap process, which I don't want to do (I'd rather have a
> more general-purpose solution).  Alternately, I could have left it in
> conf/ and added a bootstrap step to deploy it separately, but then it
> would be impossible to redeploy/reconfigure logging.

As far as the logging service is concerned, i guess this would make
sense (i.e. leaving it in conf/). The earlier version of the logging
service (which used jboss-log4j.xml) worked around the
redeploy/reconfigure issue by setting up a Log4jTimerServi ceTask which
was a timer task (default 60 sec.) which would pick up the changes to
the logging configuration file. Maybe we could do something similar?

regards,
-Jaikiran