[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - User workspace vs. conversationList component

jacob.orshalick do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Sep 24 22:00:40 EDT 2007

I have been using the conversationList component provided by Seam to allow switching between conversations.  The behavior with respect to nested conversations seems strange though, IMO.  Currently, the conversationList contains all ConversationEntry instances.  This seems to be unintuitive to users when working within nested conversations (especially when nested 3 or 4 conversations deep).

Each time a conversation is nested, the parent as well as the child are contained in the workspace entries.  As you can imagine, if nesting continues, the number of workspaces grows quickly.  It also seems that the ConversationStack already handles a representation of nesting through breadcrumbs.

In order to avoid this issue, I have implemented a workspace component which provides the top of each ConversationStack the user is working with.  I then use breadcrumbs to represent nesting and allow traversal through nested conversations.  This seems intuitive to the users.

Am I missing something?  Is there a reason for showing all ConversationEntry instances in the workspace?  I understand the purpose of providing a list of all ConversationEntry instances, but it seems useful to have this limited workspace component.  I would like to submit the workspace component as a patch for those who are using nested conversations if there is an interest.  Thanks for your help.

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4088230#4088230

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4088230