[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools Development] - Portlet Development is Effectively Unusable in JBoss Tools

Robert Brown III do-not-reply at jboss.com
Sun Jul 25 23:10:49 EDT 2010

Robert Brown III [http://community.jboss.org/people/factor3] created the discussion

"Portlet Development is Effectively Unusable in JBoss Tools"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/554308#554308

I am attempting to use JBoss  Tools to develop portlets, and its so- called "support" for portlets  does not work.

    I have read the documentation and have downloaded the tools that are  supposed to support portlet development. According to the documentation,  in order to begin portlet development we are supposed to create a  "Dynamic Web Project" and setup the project to work within a JBoss  runtime.

    Instead of using the default configuration for the server, we are  supposed to click "Modify" and, in the Facet window we are supposed to  select the checkbox for Portlet support.

   Trouble is: there +is no+ "Portlet  support" checkbox!

   Without portlet support, any attempt to create portlets  to run within a Portal server creates failures. In fact, some of the  failures have been known to crash Helios.

   Note that thie problem of missing  Portlet support facets is not new to the latest Tools. This problem  also exists in versions designed for Eclipse 3.5 installations as well.

   Until  this problem is fixed, your tools are completely unusable for portlet  development. Note that for this reason, I will likely be using  OpenPortal tools for my portlet development until someone fixes thios  problem.

    Are there any plans to fix this problem?

Start a new discussion in JBoss Tools Development at Community
[http://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2129]