[jboss-user] [JBoss Tools] - Re: Best practices for openshift express and tools

Max Rydahl Andersen do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Sep 26 06:36:45 EDT 2011

Max Rydahl Andersen [http://community.jboss.org/people/maxandersen] created the discussion

"Re: Best practices for openshift express and tools"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/628509#628509

0. A few ways to setup server adapter:

File > New > Server > <select the type of adapter you want>

or

Select existing server adapter, Ctrl+C + Ctrl+V to copy/paste it and you have a clone you can edit.

Once you have the new server, double click it and the settings I talk about is on the first and second page of that server editor.

1. There really aren't a good way of doing this "conext dependent deployment" that doesn't end up being a giant feature specific hack.

jboss-web.xml is probably only just one of many parameters that you would want to change between your PAAS/Local deployment.

Is the context root really something that should be set in the deployment ? Can't we find a way to have that be a separate configuration/deployment ?
Then you could deploy the *same* archive to multiple servers - the deployment could of course have a default specified, but should be possible to overwrite/reconfigure part of the server.

2. "dual notion for the jboss as 7 runtime" -> create two servers, one for local, the other for the PAAS view. That's what they are there for.

Beyond that standalone.xml configuration/editing is not something we have looked into yet - mainly because it was expected the Web/CLI console would be used to manage it and until now AS (pre AS 7) config files have been changing so often that it was hard to support well.

We could add some xml transformations into this but would be greater if there was someway we could actually use the management API against these xml files without having to start an AS 7 on them.