[jboss-user] [Beginner's Corner] - Re: Using JBoss as back-end for remote thick client?

Peter Johnson do-not-reply at jboss.com
Fri Feb 10 15:18:48 EST 2012

Peter Johnson [https://community.jboss.org/people/peterj] created the discussion

"Re: Using JBoss as back-end for remote thick client?"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/715945#715945

If you are just trying to limit the number of concurrent database connections, then connection pooling might be a better way to go. But check the docs for your JDBC driver to see if it supports connection pooling.

An app server, such as JBoss AS, does provide such connection pooling automatically. Currently, does each app connect to the database using it own credentials, perhaps based on the user running the app? Or do all of the apps use the same credential? With an app server, you will end up with the latter. You can search through the forums for people who have had varying degrees of success with using multiple credentials.

I'm not sure if Hibernate will shelter you from the types of schema changes you mentioned. Hibernate likes to keep its information in sync with the database schema and based on a startup option might even modify the database to match what it thinks the schema should be. I am used to rebuilding a Hibernate app after making a schema change (but I don't know if htis is required). I should really let a Hibernate expert field this question for you, they could give you a better idea. (That's a hint for those of you reading along to join in the discussion...)

[https://community.jboss.org/choose-container!input.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2075]