[jbosscache-dev] Logging levels in 1.4.0.SP1

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Fri Aug 11 08:56:59 EDT 2006

On 10 Aug 2006, at 19:14, Brian Stansberry wrote:

> I'm taking a quick look at JBC-related logging in the AS from
> 1.4.0.SP1,
> and had the following comments:
>
> 1) 08-10 11:14:59,421 DEBUG [org.jboss.cache.TreeCache] viewAccepted
> ():
> [JBOSS-33102AB21:1551|0] [JBOSS-33102AB21:1551]
>
> Having this at INFO is pretty important; this is critical info for
> support cases.

Doesn't this add a lot of noise to the logs, since this may happen
quite frequently?  If you feel it should be, I don't mind it being
switched to INFO.

> 2) 2006-08-10 11:14:56,984 INFO
> [org.jboss.cache.factories.InterceptorChainFactory] interceptor chain
> is: ....
>
> Should this be INFO?  I don't mind if it is, just wanted to check.

I thought this in fact is useful for debugging, to make sure proper
configurations have been read, etc.  And since it only happens once
as the cache starts, I don't see this as very noisy.

> 3) 2006-08-10 11:14:59,484 DEBUG
> [org.jboss.cache.buddyreplication.BuddyManager] New buddy group:
> BuddyGroup: .....
>
> Having this at INFO would be good as well.

As with my argument on 1), this could be noisy since it happens
whenever there is a view change.  Again though, if you feel this is
useful as INFO, I'm ok with it.

> There's a lot of INFO logging from NextMemberBuddyLocator.  I think
> that's fine for now, while we shake down that code.  Perhaps some
> optimization in later releases (e.g. check the # of view members and
> skip some steps that will obviously fail; track whether the view
> size is
> increasing to detect when cluster is just forming and log at lower
> levels while that is going on).

I would have thought some of these are useful for sysadmins - to
check that the buddies are being selected according to the rules they
define (around colocation, buddy pools, etc.).